Cockroach Identification & Prevention
What are cockroaches?
The reputation of cockroaches precedes them even if you’ve never experienced these pests before; you are likely aware of the problems and challenges they create. Cockroaches are social insects that live in large groups. They are primarily nocturnal scavengers that are sensitive to light. Their size, coloring, and flying ability vary depending on the species, but all cockroaches will have a flat and oval-shaped body, six legs, and thread-like antennae.
Here are some other cockroach characteristics that you should know about:
- Some cockroaches can run up to three miles an hour.
- Cockroaches reproduce quickly.
- They can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes.
A professional home pest control plan is the most effective method for protecting your property from cockroaches; call today to learn more!
Are cockroaches dangerous?
As mentioned above, cockroaches have a reputation, and this reputation includes how dangerous they are. This pest is responsible for contaminating the properties they infest, spreading pathogens, and causing allergic reactions. A cockroach infestation can lead to the spreading of gastroenteritis, salmonellosis, E. coli, typhoid fever, staphylococcus infection, and more.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
If you have a cockroach problem, this can mean several things:
- There are entry points such as cracks in the foundation, damaged screens, and uncovered vents and drains.
- There are food sources such as accessible garbage, food stored in flimsy packaging, and crumbs.
- There is excess moisture, which can be leaks, poor ventilation, and moisture buildup in the yard.
Where will I find cockroaches?
Cockroaches are most commonly found in kitchens. However, they may also be in bathrooms and basements, as these locations usually have more moisture. During the day or when the lights are on, cockroaches will hide under sinks, cabinets, appliances, closets, and other protected areas.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
One of the challenges of a cockroach infestation is how difficult they are to get rid of. Available over-the-counter products are ineffective against this pest and can worsen the problem as they continue to breed. If you have an active cockroach infestation on your property, you should contact us at SureShot Pest Control.
Our residential and commercial pest control process includes an interior and exterior inspection for signs of pests and conducive conditions. This helps your technician get a full understating of the pest pressures you are experiencing, so we can address them quickly and effectively. You can learn more about our pest control services in Bedford, Greenville, and additional service areas in Indiana and Michigan, or discover if we offer pest management services in your area by calling today!
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
Avoid cockroach infestations with ongoing professional pest control services and routine home maintenance that includes:
- Decluttering and organizing your home and storage areas.
- Vacuuming and cleaning kitchens and eating areas.
- Deep cleaning under heavy appliances.
- Repairing leaks and addressing poor ventilation.
- Removing organic debris from your yard, such as leaf litter.
- Installing covers on vents and drains.
- Sealing cracks and gaps in your home’s exterior.
- Replacing damaged screens, weatherstripping, and sweeps on windows and doors.
These tips are necessary to help reduce conducive conditions that attract cockroaches and other pests. Don’t forget to call our experts for professional pest control services.
Get A Free Quote!
Or Call Today
Recent Blog Articles
The Best Way To Drive Off Moles In Bedford
Moles are one of the most common mammals to infest your Bedford property. Learn the cost of having moles in your yard and the way to keep them out for good...
What To Do About Ants In Your Bedford Home
Dealing with an ant invasion in your Bedford home? Learn why DIY methods aren't enough to get rid of these tiny, relentless pests.