The Key To Keeping Dangerous Mosquitoes Away From Your Bedford Property
August 15, 2022
Mosquitoes have been a thorn in humanity's side for centuries, including here in Bedford, IN. These pesky insects can spread diseases like West Nile virus, dengue, and Zika virus. In addition to being a health hazard, mosquitoes can just be a plain nuisance. They tend to swarm around people and property, making it difficult to enjoy the outdoors. If you're tired of dealing with these pests, read on. SureShot Pest Control will discuss the diseases carried by mosquitoes, how to deter them, and how professional pest control in Bedford can eliminate them for good.
What Are Mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes are small, fly-like insects that have long, thin legs. They are often dark in color with white stripes running down their backs. The female mosquito is the one that bites people and animals to draw blood. Both male and female mosquitoes feed on plant nectar, but only the females need blood in order to lay eggs.
Mosquitoes are found on every continent except Antarctica. They prefer warm, humid climates and are most active during the night or dawn/dusk. There are more than 3000 species of mosquitoes but only a handful of those species bite people. The species most common in Bedford are the Asian tiger mosquito and the Southern house mosquito.
The Dangerous Diseases Mosquitoes Are Known To Spread
Mosquitoes can carry and spread a variety of diseases through their bites. The ones that are of the highest concern in the state of Indiana are Eastern equine encephalitis, LaCrosse encephalitis, St. Louis encephalitis, and West Nile virus:
- Eastern equine encephalitis is a serious and potentially deadly disease that affects the brain. In severe cases, it can lead to seizures, coma, and death.
- LaCrosse encephalitis is another serious disease that can also be deadly. It is most commonly found in children under the age of 15.
- St. Louis encephalitis is a less serious disease but can still be dangerous for young children and the elderly.
- West Nile virus is the most common disease transmitted by mosquitoes in the United States. In severe cases, it can lead to encephalitis or meningitis.
To protect yourself and your family from all of these diseases, it is important to take precautions against mosquitoes in your yard.
How To Remove Factors From Your Yard That Attract Mosquitoes
One of the best ways to control mosquitoes at home is to keep them from infesting your yard.
There are a few things you can do to make your property less attractive to mosquitoes:
- Eliminate standing water. This is where mosquitoes lay their eggs. Be sure to empty any containers that may be holding water, such as buckets, birdbaths, or kiddie pools.
- Keep your lawn trimmed and free of debris. Mosquitoes like to hide in tall grass and bushes.
- Use mosquito-repellent plants. The best plants to deter mosquitoes include catnip, citronella, lavender, and marigolds, which emit scents mosquitoes hate.
- Install or repair screens on doors and windows. This will keep mosquitoes from getting inside your home.
By implementing these tips, you should start seeing fewer pesky mosquitoes around your Bedford property.
The Best Mosquito Control Solution For Your Yard
These preventive methods can help to guard your yard against a mosquito problem, but sometimes they just aren't enough. Professional mosquito control services can help to get rid of mosquitoes for good.
At SureShot Pest Control, we use a variety of methods to get rid of mosquitoes, including:
- Eliminating adult mosquitos
- Treating vernal ponds and standing water
- Recommending solutions to drainage issues
Our technicians will be able to identify the particular species you're dealing with, which allows us to determine the best way to kill the mosquitoes in your yard.
If you're concerned about mosquitoes on your Bedford property, give us a call. We will be happy to come out and perform an inspection. We will then develop a customized home pest control or commercial pest control plan to get rid of the mosquitoes and keep them away for good, so you can get back to enjoying your yard. We also offer pest control in Grand Rapids, MI. Ask how we can help you today!
Contact SureShot Pest Control Today!(888) 616-3061
Get started with fast and effective pest control services in Indiana and Michigan.